HomeHome SitemapSitemap Contact usContacts

Marriage and U.S. Citizenship

An extremely common practice in the USA is for an American citizen (or legal permanent resident) to have a spouse who is a foreign national. When this happens, the citizen most often desires that their spouse shares in the same opportunities and privileges they have as an American citizen. The process of securing a green card for the spouse is a long and complicated process, and can take anywhere from a couple months to several years. When seeking a green card for a spouse there are two options that one can take.

Because spouses of U.S. citizens are considered an “immediate relative,’ they can apply for a green card without the traditional waiting period. It takes around ten months for the application to be reviewed but while they are waiting, the spouse can usually obtain a work permit in about a month’s time.

A spouse of a legal permanent resident of the U.S. can apply for a green card, but the waiting period is much longer and in addition, the spouse is subject to annual quotas. One of the primary sources of investigation is the nation of origin.

If your application for citizenship takes longer than expected don’t worry. Immigration is a very time consuming process and many times you are treated as a number and not an individual. By consulting an experienced immigration lawyer you can make your case stand out. Contact an experienced immigration lawyer today!

This article may be freely reprinted as long as this resource box is included and all links stay intact as hyperlinks.

Source: www.coolimmigration.com