HomeHome SitemapSitemap Contact usContacts

Us Immigration » Us Immigration Office

Immigration Woes, Part Two

Before I tell you anything else let me relate what happened to my wife and I at the border crossing in Eagle Pass, Texas.

We were married in Eagle Pass in January of 2003. My wife was on a Tourist Visa. We didnít know that our marriage invalidated that Visa.

While crossing the border the agent questioned our relationship, and then with great glee informed us that she couldnít cross.

When we were taken into the office we were separated and were not allowed to communicate further. My wife was made to sign documents which she didnít understand and which we never received copies. Afterwards, she was taken out the back door and sent off, unescorted, across the bridge into Mexico. It was around 10:00 pm.

After they were finished with my wife they then turned their attention to me. It seems they were angry that I was upset about them denying my wife entry to the US.

They proceeded to search my truck and question my actions in Mexico. It took about an hour.

After they were finished making their displeasure known, I was able to go find my wife.

When I got to the back of the office, the officers told me they had sent my wife off to Mexico. One actually laughed about it!

Unfortunately my dealings with the Immigration Service didnít get any better.

Our error was letting her go back to Mexico. If she had stayed in the US it would have been easier to process her paperwork.

What forms do you need? That depends on how you apply. I sent in an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and a form I-129 Petition for Alien Fiancťe along with the required fees.

The immigration service promptly lost it. Twice!

My second mistake was not following up rapidly. Send in the forms, and then follow up two or three weeks later. Keep copies of the forms and the money orders.

I actually had one immigration service representative tell me that Iíd know they received my paperwork when they cashed my money order.

Have you ever tried to track down if a money order has been cashed?

Youíll need to submit a copy of you marriage license, divorce decree if applicable, photos and a G-325A Biographic Information form. Donít forget the fee. It goes up every year now!

The forms are relatively easy to fill out, but you may want to contact a lawyer to assist you.

Keep this in mind, it is easier to bring someone to the US and marry them here than it is to marry them first and then bring them to the US. Itís called a marriage visa and you have 90 days to get married or your partner will have to return to their country of origin.

Now doesnít it seem strange that it is easier to bring someone you are not married to into the US than someone you have already married? Go figure!

Next we will see how the National Visa Center works. The operative word here is slowly.

Secure Publications, is a San Antonio Texas publishing company specializing in "How To" books and special reports designed to enhance our quality of life.

Source: www.coolimmigration.com