Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.
Both the employer and the employee must follow several steps to meet the requirements of the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).
- 1. A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada
- 2. A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and the employer
- 3. Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
- 4. At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
- 5. Good knowledge of English or French
- 6. A work permit before you enter Canada