Canada welcomes more than 130,000 students from foreign jurisdictions each year.
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada
- If the course or program you intend to study is less that 6 months in duration.
- If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
- You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
- You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
- tuition fees;
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a
- You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
Study Direct Stream
In most situations, foreigners need a work permit to work in Canada. There are different types of work permit for foreigners who come
to Canada with different statuses. The followings are only part of the more common categories. Please note that a work permit is not a
visa. It does not give you the right to board your flight to Canada. Along with your permit, you will need an Electronic Travel
Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada.
- Temporary workers
- Post-Graduate Students
- Business people
- Business Visitors
- Intra-company Transferees
- Live-in Caregivers